Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Sections
Who's Online
15 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 15

more...
Support us!
Recent OS4 Files
OS4Depot.net

ScummVM and AmigaOS4.1 F.E.
Just popping in
From Georgia, USA. Just north of the Florida border
ScummVM works under F.E., but there are a few things that might work a bit differently. Some of the games that Scumm includes had original game music that does not play on earlier AmigaOS versions.

But IF you are running "Final Edition", and IF you installed "Timi" from the contribs drawer, along with MidiPrefs and TimiLaunch.. and IF TimiLaunch is set to "When Needed".. Then any games with Midi music tracks should play now, all automagically!

OK, that's a whole lot of "IF"s.. but if you're a fan of Scumm games you might want to give it a try. having the original music can make the game a lot more fun.

This was one of those things that happened a while back, and we just forgot to announce it. Raziel and I got together about a year ago and added support for choosing the default MIDI out port from an environment variable. It's something we have really needed for quite some time, and it's also our first step beyond the original CAMD specifications.
So the changes to Scumm were approved and compiled in many months ago. But since the MidiPrefs program was not yet released, there wasn't much to announce.

I eventually finished up Timi, and was quite happy to add it to the contribs of FinalEdition. Along with TimiLaunch to start it on demand, and MidiPrefs to let you control default options, we finally had all the parts in place. And we completely forgot to tell anyone.

So I asked him to test it this past week. He tells me that "Simon the Sorcerer 1" plays music now. I'm sure that a few other games will have music now too. And with a new standard for defining a default MIDI output, more programs will be able to connect up automatically without having to ask the user for help. Just one of those little upgrades that took over a year to get working. :)

Report Go to top

Re: ScummVM and AmigaOS4.1 F.E.
Just popping in
@LyleHaze

Cool! I have not even checked the contribs drawer so i would not have figured this out by myself.

I will try it next time i'm in the mood for some ScummVM.

Report Go to top

Quite a regular
From Germany
@smf
I tried it with MonkeyIsland 3. It works, sound is very good but now i get everytime a grimreaper at startup of ScummVm

Report Go to top

Home away from home
From A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains
@tommysammy

Try again with one of the daily builds

Oh yes, there are bleeding edge builds for AmigaOS4 for quite some time now

-
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style, ladies vomit when I smile. ~ Dr. John Zoidberg
   Report Go to top

Home away from home
From A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains
A big "THANK YOU" to Lyle for doing all the work

There is still one thing you need to change to make MIDI work in ScummVM

Options/Audio/Preferred Device --> CAMD
Options/MIDI/GM-Device --> CAMD
Options/MT-32/MT-32 Device --> CAMD

Now start Timi and set it up as "Output Port" in MIDIPorts Prefs.

Off you go

Most of the Sierra PC versions, both Simon the Sorcerer games and most of the LucasArts adventures feature MIDI music.

Have fun and enjoy MIDI goodness

-
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style, ladies vomit when I smile. ~ Dr. John Zoidberg
   Report Go to top

Just popping in
From Georgia, USA. Just north of the Florida border
Sometimes a surprise is nice.

When you install Timi, make sure you get it all..
The MidiPrefs program sets up the "default Midi Out" variable that Scumm uses to find which CAMD output you want.

And TimiLaunch will automatically start and stop Timi when it is needed. There's no sense in running Timi all the time, unless all you do with your Amiga is play MIDI files.

There will be an update to Timi soon that uses less memory by only pre-loading the drumset, and all other instruments are loaded on demand only.

:)

These new environment variables include a default MIDI out, a default MIDI In, and the default instrument list.. Basically it lets you pre-set where you want programs to look first. In the classic days it was almost always "out.0", but that port does not exist on NG Amigas.

Now MidiPrefs sets the default out to Timi, but if anyone has a real synth attached, they can set the default output there, and Scumm (and other programs like CamdPlay) will open already pointed at the selected port.

It's not a big deal, but along with CAMD being included in the OS, it makes Midi truly "Plug and Play"..

Yeah yeah. It's time to go to work.

:)

Report Go to top

Quite a regular
From Dunedin, New Zealand
Nice work people!

Report Go to top

[Advanced Search]