Home  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Sections
Who's Online
29 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 29

more...
Support us!
Recent OS4 Files
OS4Depot.net



(1) 2 »


Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just popping in
Joined:
2007/2/1 13:29
From Bergamo, Italy
Posts: 80
I'm just curious how many people would have some interest in a modern AMP (Apache/MySql/PHP) system for OS4 and if there is a programmer that want to try the ports.

Now that we have finally got a modern browser I think it's time to modernize also the Apache port (still at v1.3!) and to port a MySql server working natively on PPC.

Obviously the idea is to create separate bounties for each component, as they are quite a big tasks.

Personally I really looking forward to this as I still stuck on other OSs for coding sites.

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just popping in
Joined:
2008/12/20 13:58
Posts: 182
@virgola

I would love too see this done so I don't need to use a linux box for developing php/mysql applications.

As I really like cubicIDE and OWB works rather nicely AMP support is all that is missing before I could use my sam440ep for real development work.

_________________
Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1 + Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
WinUae 2.3.2, OS 3.9, BB2, Catweasel MkIV
Amiga 1200, BlizzardPPC 060/200 with SCSI, mediatorSX, Voodoo3, pci lan
   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2007/1/26 21:48
From New Zealand
Posts: 1617
@virgola

Quote:

virgola wrote:
I'm just curious how many people would have some interest in a modern AMP (Apache/MySql/PHP) system for OS4 and if there is a programmer that want to try the ports.

Now that we have finally got a modern browser I think it's time to modernize also the Apache port (still at v1.3!) and to port a MySql server working natively on PPC.

Obviously the idea is to create separate bounties for each component, as they are quite a big tasks.

Personally I really looking forward to this as I still stuck on other OSs for coding sites.


Nice idea. Last time I tried it, Apache and PHP worked fine; the thing that was (and still is) missing is a MySQL server. However, updating everything would be nice.

I'm not sure that apache is the best choice of server though, the impression that I get is that lightppd is faster and more responsive.

Hans

_________________
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
http://keasigmadelta.co.nz/ - more of my software.
   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just popping in
Joined:
2007/2/1 13:29
From Bergamo, Italy
Posts: 80
@Hans
If you are talking about speed, I agree with you: lighttpd is faster.
However when it comes to available modules, level of PHP support and some XML manipulation Apache is much more feature complete.

@ all
Glad to see some interest on the subject, I was wondering if I was the only one...

I propose the creation of these bounties:
1. Apache Web Server 2.2.x
2. PHP 5.3 (when it is finished)
3. MySql Native Driver for PHP (http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/PHP_MYSQLND)
4. MySQL Community Server 5.1

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Site Builder
Joined:
2006/12/2 23:57
From Athens
Posts: 347
@virgola

I agree that a bounty for such a project is really necessary, and I will support it. Also, there is a need for a port of samba 3.x. Let's see what will come first. :D

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just popping in
Joined:
2006/12/5 22:11
From Lecco, Italy
Posts: 246
@virgola
I too agree, it would be nice to have Apache/PHP/MySql
on 4.X

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just popping in
Joined:
2007/3/19 13:44
Posts: 160
@virgola

At first I thought this was a thread for a native clone of WinAMP :) I don't code for websites on my Amiga, but I support your idea.

Varthall

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Home away from home
Joined:
2006/11/30 18:43
From Norway
Posts: 2416
@Varthall

I thought so too at first. Hehe.

Nice idea even though i've never used such sw.

_________________
Sam460 Lite
   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/11/24 17:54
Posts: 1519
@Virgola

Time ago i mailed Edgar Schwan about it.. maybe you could try to sent him an email and ask about it ( as he is the author of the current version of Apache for AMIGA OS 4.0 )..

Who knows.. maybe he could update the port

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just popping in
Joined:
2007/2/1 13:29
From Bergamo, Italy
Posts: 80
@nubechecorre

Good idea Nube,
just did write an email to him asking to join in this thread.

At least he can give us the idea of how big these ports would be.

Finger crossed.

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/11/26 16:47
Posts: 1414
what varthall said, exactly.

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Not too shy to talk
Joined:
2006/12/24 12:23
Posts: 436
@virgola

Quote:

I propose the creation of these bounties:
1. Apache Web Server 2.2.x
2. PHP 5.3 (when it is finished)
3. MySql Native Driver for PHP (http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/PHP_MYSQLND)
4. MySQL Community Server 5.1


Hi virgola,

yes, I agree, my current port of Apache is outdated. I didn't have the time to make an update because of my AmiCygnix project. A complete AAMP for OS4 would be a nice thing, but the MySQL server is still the biggest problem. For me it is nearly impossible without an enhanced version of pthreads (Some important functions are missing).

For my personal use I've compiled a newer Apache using AmiCygnix with following components:
- Apache 1.3.41
- PHP 5.2.5
- MySQL 5.0.45 (client functions only)

It works quite good, but it needs an installed AmiCygnix base package. If there is an interest, I can create a package. I have not the time to make a package without AmiCygnix dependencies at the moment, sorry.

To the difficulty of the projects:
- Apache 2.2: Not too difficult, if you leave out the feature of multiple servers. My current port does only support one server process. This is the reason, why it is only useful for development and not for productivity.
- PHP: Not very difficult, but needs some time. PHP is very portable.
- MySQL: As said above, client libs and binaries are easy to port, the server is a big task. I'm afraid I can't do that.


BTW: What is the advantage of the MySQL Native Driver compared to the original module?

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just can't stay away
Joined:
2006/11/24 17:54
Posts: 1519
@cygnusEd

Sorry but i don't exactly understand your last words.. what do you mean with these :

Quote:


BTW: What is the advantage of the MySQL Native Driver compared to the original module?


   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Not too shy to talk
Joined:
2006/12/24 12:23
Posts: 436
@nubechecorre

It is related to virgola's request for "MySql Native Driver for PHP (http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/PHP_MYSQLND)".

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just popping in
Joined:
2007/2/1 13:29
From Bergamo, Italy
Posts: 80
@cygnusEd

First of all thanks for answering!

Second: sure, an AmyCygnix package based would be much appreciated!
Just a quick question: it does mean that I have to turn on all the X server & Co. to use the Apache server? I hope not, as it will be slow as hell on my slow Sammy...

I personally don't mind about the single process issue, as I'm sure everybody will use it only for local development.

About the MySql native driver there are major advantages about:
- it solves legal issues, as it is developed by PHP people
- has a better memory management, being directly integrated into PHP will share the same memory and move faster data back and forth from MySql
- from what I understood it will be the future

For summarizing about the bounty: you 're on for a new port of Apache 2.2.x, PHP and MySql client, all Cygnix indipendent.

Do you think we can contact the authors of the pthreads library (the Friedens) for adding the functions you do need for porting MySql server?


Edited by virgola on 2009/6/23 7:16:44
   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Not too shy to talk
Joined:
2006/12/24 12:23
Posts: 436
@virgola

Quote:
virgola wrote:
@cygnusEd

First of all thanks for answering!

Second: sure, an AmyCygnix package based would be much appreciated!
Just a quick question: it does mean that I have to turn on all the X server & Co. to use the Apache server? I hope not, as it will be slow as hell on my slow Sammy...
No, you would not need the X server and you don't need to launch the desktop. Only the environment is needed.


Quote:
I personally don't mind about the single process issue, as I'm sure everybody will use it only for local development.

About the MySql native driver there are major advantages about:
- it solves legal issues, as it is developed by PHP people
- has a better memory management, being directly integrated into PHP will share the same memory and move faster data back and forth from MySql
- from what I understood it will be the future

For summarizing about the bounty: you 're on for a new port of Apache 2.2.x, PHP and MySql client, all Cygnix indipendent.
Sorry, I can't confirm that. I'm not sure, that I can make a port of Apache 2.2 (had a look at it). It is much more complex than 1.3. Before I can accept such a bounty, I want to be sure, that I can do it.
But more important: Removing all dependencies to AmiCygnix needs a lot of time. I also have to recompile several libraries I have ready for AmiCygnix. I'm afraid I don't have the time for this at the moment.


Quote:
Do you think we can contact the authors of the pthreads library (the Friedens) for adding the functions you do need for porting MySql server?
Yes, why not. I can make a list of the missing functions.

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Not too shy to talk
Joined:
2006/12/24 12:23
Posts: 436
@virgola

O.K. - I was able to compile a first Apache binary of the latest package 2.2.11. It was not so difficult than I thought . It has still some little bugs and PHP and MySQL is missing, but it works fine. So I'm sure now, that it is possible to make the port (Still not sure about the MySQL server).

Snapshot:
Resized Image







What I can offer is to create an AmiCygnix package first (As said above: The X server and the desktop is not needed) and a native package later. But please keep in mind, that it will need some time.

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Just popping in
Joined:
2007/2/1 13:29
From Bergamo, Italy
Posts: 80
@cygnusEd

Apache 2.2!! (I know, you're just doing a proof of concept, but still good!)

About the Amicygnix Vs native packaging a question: there will be any performance or features difference between the two?
Do you think we will be able to stop and restart the apache service to reload its configuration?

Keep it up and I'm sure people will appreciate somehow ($).
What do you prefere the most: opening a bounty o free donation on your site?

Speaking now for MySql, can you write down the list of missing function in pthreads so we can contact the F. brothers and tell them clearly what we do need?

P.S. Just a curiosity: why are you still using AWeb?

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Not too shy to talk
Joined:
2006/12/24 12:23
Posts: 436
@virgola

Quote:
About the Amicygnix Vs native packaging a question: there will be any performance or features difference between the two?
Do you think we will be able to stop and restart the apache service to reload its configuration?
There will be no performance or feature difference. The only disadvantage is the dependency to the AmiCygnix base package.
The server will work like the current apache port. With the configuration utility "myApacheStarter" (must be adapted) you will be able to stop and restart the server.

Quote:
Keep it up and I'm sure people will appreciate somehow ($).
What do you prefere the most: opening a bounty o free donation on your site?
I would prefer a bounty. It is a complex project, which needs a lot of time to do it. It is discouraging, when I compare the amount of donations I've got for AmiCygnix and the time I've invested so far (This does not mean, that I don't appreciate the donations I've got - thanks again!).

Quote:
Speaking now for MySql, can you write down the list of missing function in pthreads so we can contact the F. brothers and tell them clearly what we do need?
I will work on it.

Quote:
P.S. Just a curiosity: why are you still using AWeb?
It is the browser I know best and I like to use it for web development, although it has no CSS support.

   Report Go to top

Re: Shall we create a bounty for an modern AMP system?
Home away from home
Joined:
2007/9/11 11:31
From Russia
Posts: 3846
@cygnusEd

Out of main topic, but AmiCygnus related : Have you any progress with "speedup/rendering" thinks on the amicygnix itself ? :) If yes, can you write what you already to do f compare with the latest AmiCygnix from the os4depot ?:)

   Report Go to top


(1) 2 »



[Advanced Search]


Powered by XOOPS 2.0 © 2001-2014 The XOOPS Project